|This is absolutely the best book on the Holy Spirit that I have read in all my years of study. I was once a cessationist (one who believes that the Holy Spirit was only given in full measure at Pentecost, not to the church today). My search for more of God led me to this man and eventually to this book. I purchased the book after reading "How to Be Filled With the Holy Spirit" (a booklet also by Tozer) which left me thirsting for more of this great truth concerning the third person of the Trinity. |
Tozer's understanding is fully Christ-centered (as Christ Himself says, speaking of the Holy Spirit: "He will glorify me" (John 16:14)). Tozer cuts straight to the heart of the matter, discussing the Spirit's role in empowering, sanctifying and sustaining the child of God. His understanding of the Holy Spirit flows naturally out of his intimacy with God and a plain reading of the scriptures. His boldness is refreshing and his understanding is unmatched among all the authors I have read.
Since there is no "look inside" I thought it would be helpful and illustrative to list the chapter titles of the book, which summarize the contents.
1. Whenever Jesus Christ is Glorified, the Holy Spirit Comes
2. The Holy Spirit is Not Known through the Intellect
3. The Presence and Ministry of the Holy Spirit: All that Jesus Would Be
4. Pentecost: Perpetuation, Not Repetition
5. The Promised Filling of the Holy Spirit: Instantly, Not Gradually
6. Do You Have All God Wants For You?
7. Spiritual Gifts: The Ability to Do
8. Cultivating the Fellowship of the Spirit
9. The Holy Spirit Makes the Difference!
10. The Heavenly Dove: Repelled by Corruption
A Note to Thirsty Souls: I struggled a long time with what Tozer calls "the dark, dark night of the soul." Even though it seems that you may never break through into the bright light of God's presence, know that God is drawing you and will draw you to Him through faith in Christ Jesus. It will be even more wonderful than you can imagine. Wait upon the Lord and rest in Jesus.